I have traveled a lot. When on business I often travel alone.
When we started our Indian roadtrip, all women in our group got a small card from our Intrepid Tour Leader with some important safety advise:
- travel in women’s carriages, or sit next to women on public transport
- take somebody you know with you when leaving the compartment on overnight trains
- explore in pairs or in a group
- dress modestly, act confidently and say NO assertively
- lock your door and report any suspicious behaviour at hotels
- use taxis or rickshaws arranged through your hotel
- always take a hotel business card with you when you go out
My personal tips to add to this:
- before you travel, send yourself an email with scanned copies of your passport, visa, flight, itinerary and accomodation bookings, insurance details, anything that you might need access to while away
- copy somebody who is your emergency contact back home on this email
- always carry passports, medication and money in your hand luggage or on your body.
- hotels often need your passport to check you in. Make sure you get it back before you leave!
- I have a safepack handbag and backpack, both have RFID blocking, carry straps that cannot be cut and lockable zips.